Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask BlinkBits BlinkList Co.mments Delirious Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks Linkagogo Ma.gnolia MSN Live Netscape Netvouz Newsvine RawSugar Rojo Smarking Socializer Sphinn Spurl Squidoo Tailrank Technorati Yahoo My Web

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Types of Players in Poker
04-04-2009, 12:51 AM
Types of Players in Poker
TIGHT-AGGRESSIVE: This is generally considered the best way to play, especially if you’re just starting out. This type of player does not play too many hands but plays his hands aggressively when in the pot. Beware when this player raises he could end up taking a huge chunk out of your stack.

Positive: Generally, this type of player does not waste money on trash hands. A tight-aggressive also tends to maximize his or her wins when holding a powerful hand.

Negative:
This type of player is sometimes too predictable. A tight-aggressive also needs to sometimes loosen up and play more hands if the situation presents itself.

LOOSE-AGGRESSIVE (AKA MANIAC): This player plays a lot of hands and plays them aggressively. This player will bet and raise until he runs out of money.

Positive: The advantage of this style of play is that it is unpredictable and is able to steal a lot of pots.

Negative: This type of player will often be found throwing away tons of money on pointless bluffs and bets with inferior hands. This style of player works okay against tight-passives, provided the tight passives don’t wise up and start calling the maniac down! This style works best in no limit hold’em.

TIGHT-PASSIVE (AKA NIT): This type of player does not play many hands. When a tight-passive player enters pot, he or she is not aggressive and mainly just calls or folds.

Positive: This player does not tend to lose much money on any given hand.

Negative:
However, this type of player ends up being bluffed out of many pots. A tight-passive also does not win as much money as he or she could when holding a winning hand.

LOOSE-PASSIVE (AKA CALLING STATION): This type of player plays a lot of hands but does not tend to play them very aggressively. The favorite word in the English language for this player is “call.”

Positive: The only advantage of this style of play is that it is difficult to bluff this sort of player out of the pot. A maniac will quite often end up losing a lot of their money to a calling station.

Negative: In most cases this player almost always ends up a losing player. This is because calling stations simply throw away too much money on losing hands. Be very wary of playing loose-passive.

"Depend on the rabbit's foot if you will, but remember it didn't work for the rabbit." - R. E. Shay
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-04-2009, 04:03 AM
RE: Types of Players in Poker
In your opinion, what type of player should one strive to be?
04-04-2009, 04:32 AM
(04-04-2009 04:03 AM)Soliloquy Wrote:  In your opinion, what type of player should one strive to be?

You shouldn't try to be just any one type. You need to mix it up a bit.

For example, if you are being seen as very tight, doing a raise even as a semi-bluff will often get others out of your way and you might even take the pot uncontestes.

OTOH, if you are raising with nothing, people will sooner or later catch on and call you. Then you raise with a good hand and take it down. The hard part here is that you can't just predict a good hand coming.

Finally, you should see what the rest of the table is like. If there are 3-4 loose players I'd play tight and take down big pots. If they are tight I'd come out raising but watch it I was called too often or quick.

Good Luck.
04-04-2009, 05:36 AM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2009 05:39 AM by KillJoy.)
(04-04-2009 04:03 AM)Soliloquy Wrote:  In your opinion, what type of player should one strive to be?

I believe that almost every style can be a winning style. It depends on what suits you best. For example I've got a friend who plays with such a wide range of hands and extremely loose that when some people see what he holds just roll their eyes Rolleyes. When he loses, he loses big, when he wins, he wins big. I guess he reads opponents well because when playing online poker he only loses.

The only rule would probably be, don't play passively when you got something good.

For beginners it is recommended to play TAG style (Tight-Aggressive). You only enter the pot with good starting hands which minimizes the possibility of having to make a tough decision later. The later you have to act, the wider range of cards you can play with. There is also a starting hands chart so you can even memorize which hands to play on which position in what situation preflop. The more you get comfortable, the less you have to strictly follow the chart. I will post this chart in the coming days.

This style isn't only for the beginners, it's the most commonly played style by winning players.

"Depend on the rabbit's foot if you will, but remember it didn't work for the rabbit." - R. E. Shay