Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask BlinkBits BlinkList Co.mments Delirious Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks Linkagogo Ma.gnolia MSN Live Netscape Netvouz Newsvine RawSugar Rojo Smarking Socializer Sphinn Spurl Squidoo Tailrank Technorati Yahoo My Web

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Tournament poker--patience is no virtue!
03-31-2009, 09:42 AM (This post was last modified: 03-31-2009 09:51 AM by KillJoy.)
Tournament poker--patience is no virtue!
Another concept here on tournament poker. I touched on some ot this earier, but a second look at my post and I think I need to add more to it. Two subjects today: "patient play" and "increasing stack speed."

First, patient play. We know you should only be playing premium hands. But some days you just will not get them. Some days you will ask the person next to you if there are actually any paints (face cards) or aces in the deck! If this is happening to you, it is time to consider "patience vs speed."

Here is what I mean. Suppose you take the most conservative path and will wait for suited aces to play! Yes, I know it is not possible, but say you waited anyways. How long until you would be blinded off? This is pretty easy to calculate. Lets take a simple, T$2,000 starting stack, 10/20 blinds to start, B doubles at each new level, 2 minute hands, 20 minute levels, and 10 player table.

Remember, you will never play since you are waiting for those suited aces! First 20 minutes cost you $30. Easy! Next 20 minutes blinds go up 20 $20/40. So in the next 20 you are down another $60 for a total of 90. Third 20 minutes it is blinds $40/80. Another $120 gone and down $120+60+30=210. You still have 90% of your stack! But lets look at what happens:

Code:
Round        Cumulative time    Bet this rnd       Cumu Bet     Remaining stack
   1              20 min              30               30            1970
   2              40 mins             60               90            1910
   3              60 mins            120              210            1790
   4              80 mins            240              450            1550
   5             100 mins            480             1030             970
   6             120 mins           1060             2000          blinded off

So you make it just 2 hours then bye bye! This will give you 60 hands dealt. The odds on geting "American Airlines" dealt to you are 220-1. This is the same with any pocket pair, so in 60 hands you will get either AA-KK-QQ not quite ONCE in 60 hands! By the time they do come your stack may not be "workable" except to go allin.

Now, this is very, very simplistic calculation. Blinds do not just "double" round, but you may also play more than a hand every 2 minutes. The key is learn how to calculate how long until you would be blinded off and get in the action accordingly.

Next concept is "increasing stack speed." This is more important online due to the bigger fields but still the same concept "live."

Say there are 100 people starting with a $2000 stack. When there are only 50 left you need a stack of $4000 to be "average." Maybe you just made it. But then 25 more fall off. Remember, now you need to grow that $4000 to $8000 to stay with the pack! When it gets down to the final 2 tables and 16 left you need to grow it to $16000!

You can do your own math from there, but remember that to keep competitive you need to get in there, mix it up, and grow that stack an an increasing rate!

Good Luck!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-31-2009, 10:00 AM
Thumbs Up RE: Tournament poker--patience is no virtue!
Nicely explained and easy to understand!

(I've edited your post to correct the table display, because you have to use Insert Formatted Code button # to display the table correctly otherwise it "squeezes" the lines (removes the spaces between words). You can also use preview post button to see if it will be displayed the way you want)

"Depend on the rabbit's foot if you will, but remember it didn't work for the rabbit." - R. E. Shay
03-31-2009, 10:21 AM
RE: Tournament poker--patience is no virtue!
(03-31-2009 10:00 AM)KillJoy Wrote:  Nicely explained and easy to understand!

(I've edited your post to correct the table display, because you have to use Insert Formatted Code button # to display the table correctly otherwise it "squeezes" the lines (removes the spaces between words). You can also use preview post button to see if it will be displayed the way you want)

thanks on all accounts!