Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask BlinkBits BlinkList Co.mments Delirious Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks Linkagogo Ma.gnolia MSN Live Netscape Netvouz Newsvine RawSugar Rojo Smarking Socializer Sphinn Spurl Squidoo Tailrank Technorati Yahoo My Web

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hello DiceTalk.com
03-31-2009, 03:09 AM
Hello DiceTalk.com
Hello everyone,

I just want to introduce myself. First of all, I am a complete noob when it comes to gambling. My gambling experience is limited to a couple games I played in Lake Tahoe. I won $5 and quit while I was ahead Angel

The reason I'm here: I have quite a few friends and associates who play poker, and I've always wanted to learn how to play and how to take their money. I hope to learn from you guys.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-31-2009, 04:55 AM
RE: Hello DiceTalk.com
(03-31-2009 03:09 AM)Carrera Wrote:  Hello everyone,

I just want to introduce myself. First of all, I am a complete noob when it comes to gambling. My gambling experience is limited to a couple games I played in Lake Tahoe. I won $5 and quit while I was ahead Angel

Hello Carrera and welcome to DiceTalk. Joining us means that you are already ahead of a lot of players Wink (lol, I had to say that)

(03-31-2009 03:09 AM)Carrera Wrote:  The reason I'm here: I have quite a few friends and associates who play poker, and I've always wanted to learn how to play and how to take their money. I hope to learn from you guys.

There are some interesting posts in our poker section you can read -

How to play:
http://www.dicetalk.com/Thread-Texas-Hol...ers-Course

Basic Terminology:
http://www.dicetalk.com/Thread-Texas-Holdem-Terminology

And recommended books:
http://www.dicetalk.com/Thread-Recommended-Poker-Books

Or just start asking questions.

We'll make a winning player out of you. Smile

"Depend on the rabbit's foot if you will, but remember it didn't work for the rabbit." - R. E. Shay
03-31-2009, 07:42 AM (This post was last modified: 03-31-2009 07:43 AM by AZDuffman.)
(03-31-2009 03:09 AM)Carrera Wrote:  Hello everyone,

The reason I'm here: I have quite a few friends and associates who play poker, and I've always wanted to learn how to play and how to take their money. I hope to learn from you guys.

By the way, how did you find the site? Has Killjoy gotten us on the google rankings? I saw a "googlebot" as an active user today.

We are here to help! If you want to learn, I'd hit an online site and play in the "play money" area if you do not know how to play at all. These areas are next to useless for building skill but excellent for learning how the "flow" of the game goes.
03-31-2009, 09:30 AM (This post was last modified: 03-31-2009 09:34 AM by KillJoy.)
(03-31-2009 07:42 AM)AZDuffman Wrote:  If you want to learn, I'd hit an online site and play in the "play money" area if you do not know how to play at all. These areas are next to useless for building skill but excellent for learning how the "flow" of the game goes.

I agree.

(03-31-2009 07:42 AM)AZDuffman Wrote:  By the way, how did you find the site? Has Killjoy gotten us on the google rankings? I saw a "googlebot" as an active user today.

Had some Google problems with the old sitemap i submitted to google.

I have installed a Google SEO (search engine optimization) plugin recently and resubmitted the sitemap. You can also notice by looking into the address bar that the names of the threads and forums are more descriptive (they don't look like this http://www.dicetalk.com/showthread.php?tid=26&pid=46 anymore) they are more search engine friendly now. There are also some other improvements implemented so that google likes us more.
Now we need to wait for google to reindex the site.
Googlebot visits us couple of times every day (since I installed the new plugin, he's more frequent), but he's a little bit "lazy" with (re)indexing the site, but he started with a couple of pages yesterday.

There are already some pages in google, but most of them are still with old address form. I hope this new improvements help as they should. I've been a busy little bee Big Grin and that's why I'm not posting much these days.
You can check it by writing site:www.dicetalk.com into google.

@Carrera
What other games do you like besides Poker?

"Depend on the rabbit's foot if you will, but remember it didn't work for the rabbit." - R. E. Shay
03-31-2009, 10:28 AM
(03-31-2009 04:55 AM)KillJoy Wrote:  We'll make a winning player out of you. Smile

Let me tell you, that puts a big smile on my face. These guys know I don't play poker and when I sit at the table, I want to give them a big surprise! Wink

(03-31-2009 07:42 AM)AZDuffman Wrote:  By the way, how did you find the site? Has Killjoy gotten us on the google rankings? I saw a "googlebot" as an active user today.

This is a great community you guys have here! I found the site in one of the forum directories.

(03-31-2009 09:30 AM)KillJoy Wrote:  @Carrera

I am curious about some of the other card games (e.g., blackjack), but I think I will start developing skills in poker and branch out as I get comfortable.

Thank you for welcoming me, both of you. The resources and tips you've given me already are great!
04-04-2009, 04:22 AM
Welcome Carerra! Like you I know next to nothing and want to be ready when opportunity strikes. Maybe we should play poker sometime Smile
04-04-2009, 04:56 AM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2009 05:11 AM by KillJoy.)
(03-31-2009 10:28 AM)Carrera Wrote:  
(03-31-2009 04:55 AM)KillJoy Wrote:  We'll make a winning player out of you. Smile

Let me tell you, that puts a big smile on my face. These guys know I don't play poker and when I sit at the table, I want to give them a big surprise! Wink

I'm an idiot--what are the "forun directories?"

(03-31-2009 10:28 AM)Carrera Wrote:  This is a great community you guys have here! I found the site in one of the forum directories.

(03-31-2009 09:30 AM)KillJoy Wrote:  @Carrera

I am curious about some of the other card games (e.g., blackjack), but I think I will start developing skills in poker and branch out as I get comfortable.

Thank you for welcoming me, both of you. The resources and tips you've given me already are great!
04-04-2009, 05:20 AM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2009 05:52 AM by KillJoy.)
(04-04-2009 04:56 AM)AZDuffman Wrote:  I'm an idiot--what are the "forum directories?"

A site directory is a site with a list of different sites divided into categories.
A forum directory is a site with a list of different forums divided into categories.

something like this: http://www.forumurl.com/

These directories can be also just a page on a larger sites (forums) where members can show off their sites.

This directories are good for backlink building which help boost site's rankings.

I have submitted to both. He probably found me in a directory on a site where we are both members (or maybe he was just a lurker) since sites which are only directories are usually not visited by occasional surfers. But I might be wrong

04-06-2009, 08:01 AM
(04-04-2009 04:22 AM)Soliloquy Wrote:  Welcome Carerra! Like you I know next to nothing and want to be ready when opportunity strikes. Maybe we should play poker sometime Smile

Hey, You are the only person on the forum I'll play with!

(Everyone else here will take all my money! Tongue)
07-10-2009, 12:50 AM
ello ello!

HeartAngel