Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask BlinkBits BlinkList Co.mments Delirious Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks Linkagogo Ma.gnolia MSN Live Netscape Netvouz Newsvine RawSugar Rojo Smarking Socializer Sphinn Spurl Squidoo Tailrank Technorati Yahoo My Web

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Odds for idiots OR "the rule of 4/2"
03-10-2009, 07:13 AM
Odds for idiots OR "the rule of 4/2"
Good posts on odds above, but at the table you are excited and not doing complex math well so a few "shortcuts." As the saying goes, they are not perfect but close enough for government work. (And maybe better considering the government doesn't even read what it is spending $800MMM of our money on, but I digress.)

I won't go into counting outs again. But say post-flop you have 5. Simply take the number "5" and multiply it by 4 to see your odds of getting what you need on either 4th or 5th street. Thus you have a 20% chance post-flop. So you need 5:1 to make it worth the odds.

Now, with only the river card to come you do the same but multiply by 2. So it is a 10% chance of "rivering" the other guy and picking up that card you need.

For math geeks out there I know these are not "exact" percentages. But at the table multiplication by 2 or 4 is a lot simpler than doing long division in your head.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-10-2009, 09:46 AM
RE: Odds for idiots OR "the rule of 4/2"
Thanks for this, I completely forgot about it! I've updated the post about odds and outs with this tips

"Depend on the rabbit's foot if you will, but remember it didn't work for the rabbit." - R. E. Shay
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply