Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask BlinkBits BlinkList Co.mments Delirious Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks Linkagogo Ma.gnolia MSN Live Netscape Netvouz Newsvine RawSugar Rojo Smarking Socializer Sphinn Spurl Squidoo Tailrank Technorati Yahoo My Web

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Nonstandard Blinds Increase at Home Games
05-01-2009, 03:12 PM
Nonstandard Blinds Increase at Home Games
Hey, when you guys set up rules for the blinds how do you guys do it? I'm talking mostly casual games you play with your buddies. I've seen timelimits mostly standard.

I say this because I just returned from a pretty large friendly tournament with $40 buy ins.

It came down to me and one other player and I had a slight chip lead. I felt like I was getting a winning streak in hands with my opponent folding and I was pulling the blinds. I thought ok, maybe bleed him dry a little bit. Yet just at the tipping point in this winning streak we arbitrarily set to double the blinds. I knew what was going to happen here after winning maybe 8 of the last 10 hands (mostly garbage pots though): those odds were going to reverse and he would start pulling better hands.

Sure enough they did and I start pulling garbage. I fold a few times, and took a decent hand to try push it a bit. Bam lost, and now the opponent had the chip lead. Ended up bleeding me dry on the high blinds which finally I went all in and lost it on the river.

I felt kind of cheated since the opponent brought up doubling the blinds since he said the game was taking forever. Duh, it was taking forever because he could tell I had a streak going and sat out every hand. Lost a few blinds, then a few turns later brings up doubling it when he thinks it will turn around.

I should say, that we were doubling usually every time someone was knocked out, so the last increase was a pretty significant number that would close the game pretty quickly.

I probably could of played a little better, I admit. But I think this doubling the blinds just as the momentum shifted put me at a disadvantage.

What do you think?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-04-2009, 09:53 PM
RE: Nonstandard Blinds Increase at Home Games
You can use time limits or number of hands/rounds played. The second works well when your buddies like to tell stories during the game Wink

"Depend on the rabbit's foot if you will, but remember it didn't work for the rabbit." - R. E. Shay
05-05-2009, 05:23 AM
RE: Nonstandard Blinds Increase at Home Games
(05-01-2009 03:12 PM)Dulce Wrote:  Hey, when you guys set up rules for the blinds how do you guys do it? I'm talking mostly casual games you play with your buddies. I've seen timelimits mostly standard.

I say this because I just returned from a pretty large friendly tournament with $40 buy ins.

It came down to me and one other player and I had a slight chip lead. I felt like I was getting a winning streak in hands with my opponent folding and I was pulling the blinds. I thought ok, maybe bleed him dry a little bit. Yet just at the tipping point in this winning streak we arbitrarily set to double the blinds. I knew what was going to happen here after winning maybe 8 of the last 10 hands (mostly garbage pots though): those odds were going to reverse and he would start pulling better hands.

Sure enough they did and I start pulling garbage. I fold a few times, and took a decent hand to try push it a bit. Bam lost, and now the opponent had the chip lead. Ended up bleeding me dry on the high blinds which finally I went all in and lost it on the river.

I felt kind of cheated since the opponent brought up doubling the blinds since he said the game was taking forever. Duh, it was taking forever because he could tell I had a streak going and sat out every hand. Lost a few blinds, then a few turns later brings up doubling it when he thinks it will turn around.

I should say, that we were doubling usually every time someone was knocked out, so the last increase was a pretty significant number that would close the game pretty quickly.

I probably could of played a little better, I admit. But I think this doubling the blinds just as the momentum shifted put me at a disadvantage.

What do you think?

Well, first there is no such thing as "the odds going to reverse." Each hand is independent of the last one. Assuming an unbiased shuffle (ie: cheating) there is no reason blinds going up will affect the distribution of cards.

OTOH, *you* might have been affected by the higher blind level. Y0u stated that "the last increase was a pretty significant number that would close the game pretty quickly." So maybe you got concerned about blind-stealing, even unconsciously.

In a one-table home game I'd increase blinds every x hands instead of time. Seems easier.